Friday, February 1, 2008

Ogres on Trial


A brief rundown of what happens when Ogres are asked to play by human rules:

1. First of all they lie. They claim not to have received the Regie's summons. That means that supposedly not one, but two official papers were not delivered by Canada Post. Funny how my lawyer got hers, I got mine, but neither defendant got his or hers. The Commissioner decided we could proceed anyway. Who knows what they thought they might gain?

2. They put forth a litany of complaints, including me entering their stinking lair daily to access the basement (who needs to go to the basement every day other than Ogres?--a case of projection, I say). They also complained that my dog chased their mangy cats, that he crapped in the back yard, and that I forbade them to hang their stupid flag.

One look at said stupid flag and the Commissioner had no more questions for the Ogres.

Of course they brought up my Grinchiness towards the hideous Xmas decorations.

3. They claim they will need $3000 to move their crap, without any proof that this is so. When my lawyer questioned what all this stuff was, they came up with a normal list of things for a 4.5 room apartment. Both lawyer and Commissioner took notes of the Ogres belongings.

The Commissioner asked them if their position was that I was kicking them out because of these skirmishes and they said YES. This may not be a complete lie, but it ain't the whole truth either. That would involve separating the wheat from the chaff, for which there was not time during the hearing, nor did the Commissioner ask me to defend myself against their allegations, though I could not help shaking my head no a few times. My lawyer says that this lack of need for clarification is a good sign that I convinced the Commissioner of my position.

And what was my position? I need an office, goddammit!
And a guest room! And a back yard for my dog, who maybe crapped ONCE in the stupid yard, and the Ogres put it on my fire escape. I presented drawings and permits and estimates and I talked calmly about my need for space, my grant for my new book, my promotion at work, and the fact that it would have not been possible to repossess when I first bought, neither financially nor legally.

I guess in the end it sounded more like they were unhappy living with me than vice versa. Sometimes it's good to shut up and let Ogres dig their own shallow graves.

It all went by very quickly, and I feel a certain post-hearing malaise, however, because the decision, my friends, will come in the mail. Maybe in one month, maybe in three. The sooner the better I say. Lawyer Lady thinks we have a very good chance, and that the damages awarded are the only question here. She hopes I will get away with $1000 (ie. 2 months rent), but it could be more. So keep crossing those fingers for me, and I will let you know when I know.

And thank you all for the emails, the comments, the calls,
the encouragement, and especially for the fairy godmother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never had so much fun in a "Hearing"..

Don't forget to thank Venus and Jupiter also.

Anonymous said...

Looks good...specially the part about you calmly stating your case ( promotion, grant etc...)
Fingers crossed!

S

Anonymous said...

I live in the country and all I ever get are drunken teenagers and the occasional troll--usually a very irate one. There's a shortage of bridges, you see, and the teenagers sometimes kick the trolls out for a few hours while they listen to speed metal and do the things they can't do at home.

I used to feel hard-done-by. But after reading your poignant chronicle of ogres who selectively read their mail, disrespecting our great postal service and every decent person who ever licked a stamp, I realize how wonderful my life is compared to yours.

Thank you Landlady!

I think I'll put a little something extra in the bucket of fish heads I put out for the trolls, tonight. At least they don't wave flags at me. From now on, I'll gladly pay them their hush money. Who needs fish heads when you've got peace of mind?

Best of Luck!

K.